Creating Data Classes
After you have created a Data Store, you must create the Data Classes that define the research data you need to store.
There are two ways you can get to the online tools for defining Data Classes. First, you will be directed to the tools immediately after creating a new Data Store, and second, you can get to the tools through the Data Store configuration menu. These two methods are described below.
There are also two methods for defining the Data Classes: specifying the details for each Data Class from scratch or using a pre-existing template that defines a set of Data Classes. These two methods are also described below.
1. When you create a new Data Store, you will automatically be directed to pages for creating the Data Classes that define the new Data Store.
2. You are given two options for this task: defining each Data Class from scratch or using a template that predefines a set of Data Classes
Note: if you select the Cancel button, you can get back to the Create Data Classes menu through the Data Store Home Page.
2. From the Data Store Home Page, scroll to the Data Store Configuration section near the bottom of the screen (if you do not see this section, you probably do not have the necessary permission. Contact your administrator)
3. Select the Edit Data Classes link
4. Select the Create New Data Class link. If some Data Classes already, you are required to enter a new Data Class from scratch. Otherwise, you have the option to create it from scratch or using an existing template.
After choosing the option to define a Data Class from scratch, you will be directed a page with input fields for specifying Data Class values.
1. Enter a Data Class name and description
2. For each attribute you want to define (up to 15 - you can add more later if necessary) enter:
3. Select the Submit button at either the top or bottom of the page.
Note that the edit and query widgets for each attribute are automatically assigned a default value by the system. See the Edit Data Classes section for information how to change these default values.
After choosing the option to define Data Classes using a template, you will be directed a page where you can browse the templates to select from.
1. Browse for a template that best suits your needs.
2. Once you have found a template you want to use, select the Use Template button.
3. You will be directed to a page from which you can view the template details and verify that you want to use this template. Select the Use Template button to generate the Data Classes and Saved Queries defined by the template. Select Cancel to go back and select a different template.